Vagabond City Literary Journal is looking for a volunteer Art Editor. Please keep in mind that we are especially interested in offering positions to people from marginalized groups. This is a 100% remote/virtual role that should take 1 to 5 hours every week. Applications will be open until April 15, 2018.
The main responsibilities for this role include:
Reviewing and soliciting featured art submissions
- Most of our featured art is solicited by the art editor. This requires you to reach out to artists that you feel represent the aesthetic of the journal.
- Reviews all art submissions to be published on the 5th of every month
- Responds to all submissions with an acceptance/rejection email
- Conducts an interview over email or in-person with every featured artist to present with their art pieces
- Submits drafts of each interview to website
- Has an in-depth understanding of the publishing schedule
Representing Vagabond City
- Represents VC by linking to the site on all and any social media accounts
- Engages with followers on social media accounts, i.e. if someone tweets at you, RT it, etc.
- Actively reaches out to artists through their own social media accounts, encouraging people to submit
Being a team player
- Participates in monthly Slack (instant message) meetings
- Remains active in Slack channel
- Openly shares thoughts, feedback, and critiques to make Vagabond City a stronger and more inclusive publication
- Join a community of accomplished staff members who are writers, artists, and creatives willing to assist you with your own goals and give feedback on your work
- Open and collaborative virtual environment with people who like books, plants, emojis, and cats (but also dogs)
- Flexible, realistic opportunity – we’re not getting rich off of this, so we don’t expect to own your life and your time
Please send the following to email@example.com with ART EDITOR in the subject line:
- any past publication history and/or an overview of your personal work (include links if possible)
- a brief explanation (2 sentences-1 paragraph) of why you want to work with VC and explaining past history with editing work
- include links to social media accounts